Thursday, June 28, 2007

Chaos

I must apologize for the delay in writing, and not responding to emails that several people sent to me after my last post. I couldn't respond due to the nature of what is going on in my life... until now.

To make a long story short, my parents have split up and my father has recently taken a new job in San Diego, CA. Since I have been out of the house for 2 years already and now that financially my parents can't help me go to college , I am dropping out of Wooster to move to Columbus, OH. There, I have found a part-time job working as a pharmacy technician and I am moving in with my grandmother. If I can save up enough money, I might be able to go to a community college there in Columbus.

Currently, I am doing research in the chemistry department of the College of Wooster. Here, I am making glass that expands about 4x when oils are added to it. Since it is a new invention (of my teacher) I am helping to figure out it's molecular structure and all the things that it can and/or potentially do. It is amazing fun! I could seriously imagine myself doing this kind of research for the rest of my life. It is unfortunate that leaving Wooster also means leaving behind a career in the sciences and/or medicine (which is what I have always wanted to do...its long and complicated why I can't pursue the sciences). So, I guess you could say I am searching for a new direction in life, already!

... things have been very difficult for me these past 6 months. In addition, my "sickness" that brought me down has not ceased, rather I have discovered that it is related to my diet. So, I have to cook nearly everything I eat from scratch. There could be worse things in life! At least I'm a good cook!

My spare time after work has given me much time to think about things and to do some reading. Most everyone has left campus for the summer. I hope that my time in Columbus will be as exciting and inspiring as the last 2 years have been abroad and then here at Wooster. Each of those years, successively, has been the best year of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becky, Christa told me you had something on your Blog. I had given up looking! Glad to see you are back writing. Love you, Grandma Mastin